This month I celebrate having served in my current role for 5 years and as I’ve tried to wrap my mind around what these past few years have meant to me and what I have learned the only thing I can say is I’m glad I answered the call. The past five years have been full of learning, sharing and growing with me and the church as we have journeyed together. We embarked on a grand adventure to discern how we could serve children and families in our community and I’m so grateful I have been part of that journey and able to walk with children and their families.
My personal growth as a leader, church member, and community member has been a blessing to me and allowed me to grow in my ways but also has challenged me as I’ve sought to understand what my contribution to our world is and will be – I found the answer to that question here in these mountains and am forever grateful that this place took a chance with me and continues to take chances with me.
I’ll share a few things that I’ve learned along the journey that has shaped me and made me a better leader and person:
- Stay positive even when there is negativity floating all around you.
- Laugh and enjoy the moment.
- Listen and reflect.
- Self-care is essential and is not selfish.
- Be respectful, especially when someone isn’t respectful of you.
- You don’t have it all figured out and never will.
- Reflection is important.
- Apologize, admit your faults and wrongs.
- Seek to understand.
- Spend time with people and try to understand.
- Be honest about your feelings.
While there are many more things I’ve learned these are some of the top things that have made me a better person and an even better leader. I’m so grateful my journey led me to Sylva and I can’t wait to see what the future holds.